Product Review: Weeride Deluxe Kangaroo Bike Carrier

With having a now over 1 year old little girl, the time has come for her to be on the bike with me, maybe not so much on single track, but just on gravel rides.  I have used the pull behind trailer with her in it, and that worked awesome, but with the recommendation from another rider about a Weeride carrier, I had to check it out.  Really, anything to do with bikes I have to research.... Its an obsession I think...

I have looked around at other carriers, just trying to see what options are out there before Liesje (pronounced Alicia, but without the A) gets onto a Balance Bike.  A couple came up, the Weeride, as well as the Macride child seat.

I ended up choosing the Weeride, solely based on other recommendations.  Word of mouth is probably one of the best sales features out there, plus the internet... There's a lot of stuff on the internet..  I have read alot on the Macride, and all the reviews I have read have been positive as well.

Installation was fairly straight forward, once I put it in the right orientation.  I did first mount it to my Santa Cruz Heckler, but geometry wise, it just didn't fit, and allow me to get on the bike easily.  The disclaimer, I have long legs, hence a high seat, so getting on and off the bike was a little tricky.  I did some test mounts, and well it didn't go well... not for me anyway, Liesje wasn't in the seat, so she was fine.


I decided to install the seat on my Salsa Mukluk fat bike.  Geometry wise, for the bikes I own, it worked out the best.  I did have to drop my seat down slightly to accommodate step over, but other than that it mounted and worked fine.  Once installed the unit was extremely stable, no lateral movement or anything.  Which is a good thing, with the whole putting a child in it and going for bike rides, you do want it to be somewhat secure. 



There is a good amount of adjustment in the seat itself, which does allow for growth etc.  The head padding is also a nice feature, just incase the little one dozes off, they can lay their head down.  That being said, if you are on singletrack, or rough terrain, the odds of them dozing off would decrease slightly.  Also a nice feature is the harness, once sinched up, they are not moving at all.  The setup is similar to a car seat, multipoint harness.  




With the rides I've done with Liesje, we have done mainly gravel roads.  There has been limited singletrack, but everything I've ridden with her was fun, and she loved it.  I do realize know that she enjoys speed, every downhill slope we do, she laughs, screams and waves her arms like she is flying.  




A few things I have found out, with Liesje, her legs she has figured out can reach the handlebars.... Caught me off gaurd the first time, then it became a game for her.  Based on my bike etc, I have to have the seat pushed all the way forward, thus making her legs capable of reaching bars.  Another thing I have figured out, a bell on the bars gives her something to play with as we ride along too.  Once she figured out she could reach and ring it, just be prepared for a lot of extra noise as you pedal along. 




Singletrack rides on a rigid fat bike, may not be the smartest idea.  Having some suspension to absorb the bumps, probably would have helped a bit for sure.  That being said, with all the bouncing around etc, Liesje was still strapped in and having a blast.  We didn't ride anything too technical, just more time riding around the forest.  

Also, every ride we did, she had her helmet on 100%, safety first.  




If I had to give my recommendation for the Weeride Deluxe Kangaroo Bike Carrier, I would have to say it is well worth the money.  If I had a dropper post which allowed me to keep the proper leg extension that would help me out, but other than that there is nothing I can see wrong with this unit.  It allows both Liesje and I time together on a bike, and in the forest.  Sure she isn't pedaling, or anything like that, but it is still time on a bike.

For more information on the Weeride Carrier, check out their website, Weeride

If you want more information, or have any questions about my experience with the Weeride, by all means leave me a comment.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beer Review: PC Red Brew (De-alcoholized)

Beer Review: Redline Brewery - Wide Open Modern Pils