Beer Review: Redline Brewery - Wide Open Modern Pils


It has been too long since I've done a beer review.  That's not saying I have stopped drinking beer altogether, just curbed it slightly to focus on biking.   
That being said, when I do grab a beer, I've become picky, and wanting to try new ones, and recently at Redline Brewery, I picked up a can of Wide Open Modern Pils.  

First off, if you have never been to the brewery / brew pub in Barrie, it is worth the trip.  The food is delicious, and the beer selection, well it is all in house beer, so you know it is going to be good.  Also, the nice thing is, after you have tried a couple different ones on a flight, you can go to the store and buy cans, which I did with the Wide Open. 


http://www.redlinebrewhouse.com/the-beers/wide-open/

From Redline's website:
There is a reason the classics are held in high regard. Sometimes we need to make a small change in order to move forward and build on what has come before us. This thinking lead to the creation of Wide Open Modern Pils, brewed in the tradition of a classic German Pils using a modern German hop named Mandarina Bavaria.
Rather than an herbal, spicy, and leafy note from the hops, this pils has a fruity, tangerine and orange note on top of the earthy, spicy characteristics of the style. Uber clean pils malt lays the base for a crisp, updated classic.


First off, the label, I must say I absolutely love the old school video game look.  It really brings you back to a much simpler time, a time where video games were just left and right and all pixelated.  So with that in mind, I knew this was going to be a good all around beer, which it did not disappoint on at all. 

The slight sniff test did reveal some fruity / citrus notes, nothing over powering, just very subtle.  It had a smell of a typical pilsner. 

The taste, which is the most important part of a beer, was exactly as Redline's website lays it out.  There was some fuity / citrus hits along the way.  I didn't get the spiciness, but you did get a small note of hops.  The overall flavour profile was on point from start to finish.

I will say though, if you are not a typical pilsner drinker, you may not be a 100% fan of Wide Open, but I would recommend you at least give this one a try.  You will surprise yourself at how much you would enjoy this beer. 

As for picking it up, I've only bought it from the brewery in Barrie, I haven't located it at any of my local LCBO stores.

Rating:  4.27 out of 5



Comments

  1. Your blogs further more each else volume is so entertaining further serviceable It appoints me befall retreat encore. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. Redline energy reviews

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Beer Review: PC Red Brew (De-alcoholized)

Product Review: Weeride Deluxe Kangaroo Bike Carrier